On 30 January 2020, Medicinal Cannabis Europe’s first General Assembly took place, officially establishing the only European multi-stakeholder association representing the whole medicinal cannabis value chain.
Sanity Group has joined Medicinal Cannabis Europe because it comprises patients’, medical and scientific organisations, NGOs and industry representatives, with the ultimate goal of ensuring patients’ fair access to medicinal cannabis in Europe.
The therapeutic properties of medicinal cannabis applications are increasingly being acknowledged by the scientific world, however access to these medicines remains fragmented within and between European Member States. This seriously affects patients’ ability to receive the care they need, as well as the industry’s capacity to produce, process and distribute safe and high-quality medicinal cannabis products across the European Single Market. Against this background, Medicinal Cannabis Europe calls for:
1. An EU harmonised regulatory framework on medicinal cannabis;
2. The allocation of EU funds for research on medicinal cannabis;
3. The promotion of an open, societal dialogue on the benefits of medicinal cannabis.
Fabian Friede, Founder and Managing Director of Sanity Group:
“I am honored to be joining the Executive Board of Medicinal Cannabis Europe as Treasurer. I believe Medicinal Cannabis Europe is paving the way in facilitating a long-lasting dialogue between patients, medical and scientific communities, industry and policymakers. Only by working together can we promote the health benefits of medicinal cannabis and ensure fair and safe access to patients in Europe. I am enthusiastic about contributing to this mission.”
Medicinal Cannabis Europe has already been actively advocating at European level for almost two years and indends to continue its advocacy activities, amongst others via:
• The promotion of a policy pledge, launched in 2019 seeking the support of Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) on the above-mentioned points;
• The promotion of research on medicinal cannabis via Horizon Europe, the future EU research and innovation framework programme;
• The elaboration of a European Citizen Initiative (ECI) on medicinal cannabis, whose process will be initiated in the first quarter of 2020.
Medicinal Cannabis Europe’s activities will be carried out by the Secretariat, represented by its Secretary General Stuart Lambie, under the aegis of the association’s Executive Board, chaired by Dr. Vincenzo Costigliola.